Head of Informatics at GBIF
Closing date: 15 November 2007
The Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) Secretariat seeks a highly experienced Informatics/IT Programme Manager to lead the Informatics team in the ongoing development of the informatics services and internal IT systems. This is a senior-level post reporting to the Director, with an initial contract of up to five years and a highly competitive salary benefiting from the diplomatic status of the Secretariat. The GBIF Secretariat is located in Copenhagen, with a total staff of 19. For detailed information on GBIF please visit http://www.GBIF.org.
The Secretariat Informatics team is responsible for:
The Head of Informatics will:
- Maintenance and continuing innovative development of the web portal functionality in response to multistakeholder needs.
- Developing and supporting multiple tools and standards allowing data providers/users to connect their data to the network, access and analyse these data.
- General IT development and support to the operations of the Secretariat.
The Head of Informatics should:
- Lead the development and implementation of the informatics workplan and budget of the six-person Secretariat Informatics team, as per activities above.
- Lead on the development and delivery of key informatics products and services to address multi-stakeholder needs.
- Liaise continuously with each of the other Secretariat Work Programmes to identify and ensure delivery of appropriate cross-cutting products and services.
- Play a key role in Secretariat strategic planning and serve as the main liaison between the Secretariat Informatics team and the rest of the Secretariat.
- Act as Programme Manager for Secretariat IT services and other related Secretariat activities.
- Have significant experience (at least 5 years) as a programme/project manager for a variety of high-level, innovative IT projects, particularly web applications.
- Be output and service driven with a proven ability to manage a team and deliver products in a demanding, dynamic and multistakeholder environment.
- Have experience extracting and interpreting disparate user needs and translating these quickly into appropriate products and services.
- Have experience coordinating activities involving a wide range of distributed participants, including governmental, NGO and scientific groups.
- Have excellent inter-personal skills to foster and motivate a team of skilled professionals and external contributors.
- Be self-motivated and highly innovative.
The Head of Informatics is expected to take up office by 1 January 2008 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Further enquiries and applications should be addressed to the Director, Dr Nicholas King. Click here for the full job announcement.