Executive Director International Council for Science, ICSU
Closing date: 31 October 2007
The International Council for Science (ICSU) is a non-governmental organization dedicated to the promotion of international science for the benefit of society. To accomplish its mission, ICSU mobilizes the knowledge and resources of the international science community, represented by 29 Scientific Unions and 112 National Scientific Members. ICSU also has several Interdisciplinary Bodies, which carry out global scientific programmes. ICSU has a central Secretariat of 16 staff located in Paris, plus overseas Regional Offices in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, and Latin America and the Caribbean.
The Executive Director reports to the elected Officers and the Executive Board and has overall responsibility for implementing the strategic goals of the organization, managing the Secretariat and overseeing the day-to-day operations of ICSU.
In this capacity, the incumbent will be expected to:
- Act to achieve ICSU's mission, strategy and plans, and contribute to their formulation and development;
- Work with and seek synergy and harmony among all components of the ICSU membership: Scientific Unions, National Members and Interdisciplinary Bodies;
- Ensure effective links between ICSU and partners in the UN and non-governmental sectors and raise funds in support of ICSU’s programmes;
- Manage the ICSU Secretariat and its staff in Paris and oversee the Regional Offices around the world.
ICSU is seeking candidates who:
- Have an advanced university degree in science;
- Have at least fifteen years of experience in international collaboration and management of scientific programmes;
- Have leadership as well as strategic, financial and human resources management skills;
- Possess full command of written and spoken English. Working knowledge of French and knowledge of other languages is considered an advantage.
The incumbent should be prepared to conduct frequent world-wide travel. The appointment will start on 1 February 2009 with an initial probationary period of six months.
Further information may be obtained by writing in confidence to the Secretary General.
Applications with full CV and names of three references should be addressed to the Secretary-General of ICSU by 31 October 2007. Interviews for short-listed candidates will be arranged in Paris in February 2008. More information about ICSU: http://www.icsu.org