News about DIVERSITAS announced on the DIVERSITAS website:
• Biodiversity: Science and Governance 24-28 January 2005 - Paris, France
© Michel Ravassard/UNESCO
“We know enough about the decline in biodiversity to start taking steps to reverse it”.
French President Jacques Chirac opens international conference with a call for the establishment of an intergovernmental and non-governmental body on biodiversity.
© A-H Prieur-Richard
“We need to define the types and scales of activities required to advance biodiversity science and to generate multi-stakeholder support for such initiatives.”
Michel Loreau, Chair of the DIVERSITAS SC, delivers a declaration from the scientific community at the closing session.
More conference news…
• MCEB (Chile) receives major award for biodiversity research: DIVERSITAS SC Member Dr. Mary Kalin Arroyo amongst recipients of prestigious award for Latin America. More...
• DIVERSITAS welcomes new National Committee: Slovak Republic
• DIVERSITAS welcomes new National Committee in China
• French Minister for Research cites ICSU, DIVERSITAS and
SCOPE as important partners in developing an international research
programme on environment and health…more
• ISEE president highlights DIVERSITAS at International Congress
and in Society newsletter…more
• Fourth Ministerial Conference on Environment
and Health: The future for our children
The French Minister for Research François d'Aubert, in his
introductory intervention for the meeting "Extreme Climatic
Events and Human Health" (23-25 June 2004), calls for establishment
of a major international research programme on environment and health,
citing ICSU, DIVERSITAS and SCOPE as key partners.
Official speech (available in French only)
Fourth Ministerial Conference on Environment and Health http://www.euro.who.int/eprise/main/who/progs/bud/home
• International Society of Ecological Economics introduced
to DIVERSITAS’ mission and initiatives
Charles Perrings, President of the International Society for Ecological
Economics and Vice-Chair of the DIVERSITAS Scientific Committee,
recently raised awareness of the DIVERSITAS programme both in person
and in print. Prof. Perrings described the aims of DIVERSITAS to
audience members at the Eighth ISEE Biennial Conference entitled
Challenging Boundaries: Economics, Ecology and Governance (July
2004, Montreal, Canada) and to readers of the ISEE Newsletter, July